Sunday, December 9, 2012

Restart JUDDD with Atkins - Nutritional Ketosis (NK) Eating

Sunday - JUDDD - Medium Day (Goal 1000cals)
Weight - 238.4
Mood - 8
Pain - 5
Exercise - House Cleaning

Well folks what an amazing journey the last three days provided. I ate mostly potatoes, apple cider vinegar, kosher salt and potassium salt for the last three days - pretty much ad libatum (as desired) and to satiety. Very interesting results. I say mostly because I had a 2am cheat on the second day of jack cheese, hard salami and pork loin and I added a tiny bit of jack cheese, pork loin and tomato to last night's dinner (about 1/2 oz of cheese and pork and 1 small slice tomato).
I felt fine most of the time, more hunger that's for certain, but not gut wrenching. I wish I had the satiety and freedom from food thoughts others describe, but I suspect I am just not hardwired for that. I had higher post prandial blood sugars than I prefer to see. But until this morning my fasting bgs were looking in line with what they have been running. This morning's bg was 123. Yuk.

I ate an enormous amount of potatoes yesterday! About 43.9oz of potatoes or almost 3lbs of potatoes. Faith and begora Paddy! Thems a lotta tatties. That's a shore. So to see 123 on an fbg isn't unexpected. But I had horrible leg cramps yesterday. I've been fighting leg cramps for the last few months (3-4). My oncologist says it may be due in large part to the anti-hormone drug I'm on and suggested I start eating 1/4tsp of NoSALT a day (about 650mg of Potassium Salt or KCl). I exceeded that amount yesterday along with kosher salt and sea salt and also had a Cal/Mag supplement. Hooooo boy! Bad news.

So...I think I'm concluding this adventure in potato hack dieting due to the increase in this morning's fasting blood glucose. In total, I've lost 9.0lbs since the day I started 3 days ago. That's awesome news!!!
Now I'm set to restart JUDDD today using my old method of Atkins OWL style eating and maybe experiment a little more with NK. It's gonna be a running experiment to see which one makes me feel better and which one makes me lose more weight. I truly don't know. Here's how I differentiate the two.

Atkins OWL - means I would eat higher carbs (40-60g of net carbs) per day with lower fat 40-60% fat per day, and between 60-80g protein from all sources. The up side to this is I know I lose with this style of eating and it also allows me the greatest freedom of choice in food sources. My body seems to prefer a slightly lower fat level. I also know my A1c is about 5.9 with that style of eating.

Nutritional Ketosis - means I would eat lower carbs/Induction Level types of carbs (20g total carbs) per day with higher fat 65-85% fat per day. I would have somewhere around 60g of protein daily. Just recently I gained eating this way (see my experiment of the previous 10 days before the potato hack). But, I realize in retrospect, I wasn't really doing NK. I was doing Atkins Induction. NK would be much more stringent. I would need to cut down on my protein a tiny bit, and cut back on the carbs quite a lot. So maybe that's the big difference in the AI and NK?

I dunno. It's confusing. I believe the science and what it's showing about how nourishing a high fat diet is and how bad carbs are for us. But I'm not sure my body loses well with high fat over 65%. I think it's possible that for me personally, I have to have some fat deficit in addition to the carb and calorie deficit in order to lose. But I could be full of bull and just haven't been doing things correctly all these years. I admit the possibility of being a mere mortal and being wrong. There I said it.

So this will be an on the fly of what goes in my gob. At any point in time, I will reserve the right to change things and follow new trails down rabbit holes. Heck, I will probably try the potato hack again in a few weeks. I'd like to claim that my eating will be Paleo/Primal in nature. It will in that the food groups will be observed and largely followed for those styles of eating. But it won't be because I just flat don't have the budget to eat that way. I can't afford grassfed. And I do good to afford organic in the Big 12 Dirty Dozen only. Wish it was different but not at this time.

My goal of course is to lose weight, lessen inflammation, increase activity and functionality, increase stamina, keep cancer at bay as I date NED (No Evidence of Disease). And of course, I want this to feel like a natural and sustainable way of eating without having to sweat it if I have a day where my fat is higher or my calories are higher or carbs are higher.

I will still be trying to take photos of meals. I would like to illustrate that calorie dense, calorie restriction and intermittent fasting isn't a deal breaker, ball busting style of eating. On the contrary, I honestly don't know how someone can sit down and eat 2100 cals (my up day calorie balance) while keeping protein at 60g and keeping carbs at the 40-60g net carb level. That only adds up to about 1200-1400 cals. I think it would be very hard to add that much extra fat and if I do, I guarantee I will gain at that level, cuz I gained at the 1200-1400 level with fats at the 70% area.

JUDDD - Day 1 - Sunday December 9, 2012 (Medium Day = 1000 cals)

Breakfast Snack - Hard Boiled Egg, Campari Tomatoes,
Decaff Coffee, black, unsweetened
Breakfast - (87Cals; 5.1g F (51% F); 3.7g C; 1.0g Fib; 8.1g P; 2.7g NetCarbs)
  • 1 large Hard Boiled Egg
  • 3 oz Campari Tomatoes
  • 36oz Decaff Coffee, black, unsweetened
Note - This is a small breakfast snack eaten late at 11am. I will try to keep the Circadian Rhythm Reset eating window of 11am - 6pm. I'm having 2 big meals today and I would not be hungry if I'd consumed a larger breakfast.





Lunch - (370Cals; 27g F (66% F); 15.5g C; 6.2g Fib; 16.9g P; 9.3g Net Carbs)

Taco Salad with Easy Taco Meat
Taco Salad
  • 3c Romaine
  • 4 Grape Tomatoes
  • 1/8c Red Onion
  • 1/8c Radish
  • 1/8 Avocado
  • 3/8c Easy Taco Meat
  • 1/2oz Pepper Jack Cheese
  • 3 Tbsp WF Balsamic Dressing






Dinner - (426Cals; 23.4g F (49%F); 29.5g C; 7.7g Fib; 29.7g P; 21.8g Net Carbs)

Marinated Grilled Lamb Leg Steak with
Roasted Acorn Squash and Brussels Sprouts
Grilled Lamb Steak
  • 4oz Leg of Lamb Steak, raw measure
  • 1tsp Olive Oil
  • 1tsp Dijon Mustard
  • 1/2 Tbsp Worcestershire
  • 1/2 clove Garlic, pressed
  • 1 tsp Lemon Zest
  • 1/2tsp Fresh Rosemary
  • 1/2tsp Fresh Thyme
  • 1/4tsp Black Pepper
  • 1/4tsp Kosher Salt

Roasted Acorn Squash
  • 1/4 Acorn squash
  • 1tsp Olive Oil
  • S/P/Granulated Garlic

Brussel Sprouts with Lemon and Thyme
  • 5oz Brussel Sprouts
  • 2tsp Olive Oil
  • 1 clove Garlic
  • 1/4tsp Fresh Thyme
  • 1/2tsp Lemon Juice



2 comments:

  1. Those food pictures look soooo good, want to just grab them out of here and eat them! Thank you so much for sharing. I have read about NK, but glad I am not the only one confused about it. I gave up. Just watch the carbs and calories. Was gone somewhere every day last week in the evening. Fun stuff, but sure don't want to repeat that often. So I would get home and too tired to fix and eat dinner. I did lose some weight. Funny side effect, don't need to get to the grocery store very often, that's okay. Praying for that pain level to go down (or up?) to zero (or 10?, not sure of your scale). And was shocked and sad that you have to have another surgery. Praying for you, my dear!! Gentle hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow on being too tired to eat! But I can so relate to being too tired to cook. Was this close to cheating with Chuy's Mexican last night. My pain scale is that a 10 is the most pain you can have. My pre-surgery baseline is a 3 or 4. Right now I'm at a 6. MUAH!

      Delete

Fluffy Chix eat what??? Holy smokes! You can't eat that on low carb, can you? Thanks for joining Fluffy Chix Talk Chicken Scratch, the adventures in daily low carb nutrition and all the menus that go with it and maybe a picture or two! This is the daily Fluffy Chix Low Carb Menu Blog. Leave lots of comments and love, ya hear?!! Please share Fluffy Chix Cook with your friends!


November 26, 2012
Resumed Atkins Induction after surgery and recovery.


September 25, 2012

Bilateral Latissimus Dorsi Flap Resection for Stage IIIC Breast Cancer Reconstruction



September 19, 2012

Quit JUDDD and low carb to prepare for surgery.


August 13, 2012 -

Resumed JUDDD schedule while continuing with the Circadian Rhythm Schedule for eating and sleeping windows.


July 23 - August 12 -

I'm starting an n=1 pseudo-experiment today. It's based on experiments with Calorie Restriction and Food Restriction or Food Windows. I'm working with some guidance on this. The idea will be to reset my Circadian Rhythms.New research shows that Circadian Rhythm disruption influences inflammation and obesity as well as insulin sensitivity. These are all areas I'm desperate to address because fixing these areas could allow my body to heal. This could give me a better shot at remaining cancer free.


For the next 3 weeks, I must reset the Circadian Clock inside my body. To reset the CC (Circadian Clock) I need to discontinue JUDDD over the next 3 weeks and simply adhere to a feeding, sleeping and waking schedule. I will be adding a note section at the end of each day in order to evaluate status and moods.

Step 1: Eat a low carb diet without calorie restriction for the next 3 weeks without any type of calorie rotation.

Step 2: Eat all meals within an 8 hour feeding window - 11am - 7pm. Absolutely no eating after 7pm. Non-caloric liquids are allowed on demand.

Step 3: Adhere to a bedtime with total darkness at 11pm and wake time of 6:30am, every day.

Step 4: After 3 weeks I will resume JUDDD Rotations with a 20% Calorie Restriction on Down Days - 500 kcals, Up Days will allow up to 2340 kcals. The JUDDD Rotation will feature low carb nutrition. Continue to follow the FR (Food Restriction eating window, bedtime, and waking time.)

Step 5: After 2 weeks back on JUDDD Rotations, evaluate the ongoing weight loss level I feel comfortable in sustaining for the long term. I can go as high as a 50% restriction and still experience activation of the SIRT1 genes and asthma alleviation. Continue to follow the FR (Food Restriction eating window, bedtime, and waking time.)

***********************************

JUDDD Plan -

What in the Sam-hill, cockamamie food plan are you following? That can't be low carb!! Well, you're right it isn't simply low carb. I follow a derivation of the Johnson's Alternate Day Diet. I tweaked the JUDDD diet, as it's called, into a low carb version.

I choose to follow this plan right now, because I am experiencing dramatic improvement on asthma symptoms, blood sugar control and weight loss.

More importantly, I also experienced a greater than 50% response rate in neo-adjuvant chemotherapy towards a high grade prolific ER+/PR+/Her2Neu- breast cancer and lost 45lbs during treatment - when most people in breast cancer treatment gain 10-20lbs. (KI-67 was 22% with 17mitotic bodies).


Sure, I'm a turtle. Weight loss is slow weight loss. But it's weight loss! Hope that helps bring you up to speed!

The JUDDD diet has quite a bit of testing behind it and is founded upon theories that alternate day caloric restriction activates the longevity gene, the SIRT1 gene.


Suggested side effects of the JUDDD Diet are greater blood sugar control, reduction of systemic inflammation, relief or improvement of asthma conditions, reduction in movement disorder brain dysfunction, and possible anti-cancer effects.

But! Key to remember, I'm an n=1, not a doctor, not a nutritionist, nor allied health practitioner and you MUST do your own research. I'm just a girl who had cancer and is dancing with NED at this point in time.